For all of those affected by Hurricane Sandy, here are a list of resources that can be of assistance.
Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to support you!
Sometimes, what’s needed beyond material resources is faith and strength.
Click here for a great article by my colleague Joan O’Sullivan Wright entitled Beyond Survival.
Here are two prayer hotlines you can use by telephone or email to get the inspiration you need.
For prayer support, visit the Centers for Spiritual Living World Ministry of Prayer or call Silent Unity’s Prayer request service at 1-800-NOW-PRAY or visit them online at https://www.unity.org/prayer/request-prayer
Dristate.com Purpose – to encourage donations to the American Red Cross to benefit those affected by Hurricane Sandy, two Brooklyn gentlemen set up a site where you can buy a t-shirt for $20 and make a donation to the Red Cross too.
Neil Seiden of Asset Enhancement Services, has created a Disaster Relief Financing Guide including financing programs offered by Commercial Banks, Credit Unions, Government Agencies and other sources. You can access the guide here.
Resources and Emergency Contact Numbers:
The following is a list of compiled resources (as submitted by Cindy Mardenfeld, President, Infinity Relations, Inc. via Ellen Cooperperson, Corporate Performance Consultants):
LIPA: 1-800-490-0075, 631-755-6900 or online or text OUT to 695472
NYS Office of Emergency Management: 1-888-769-7243 or 1-518-485-1159
Emergency Contact Phone Numbers:
- FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency): 1-800-621-3362
- FEMA Connecticut: 1-860-256-0800
- FEMA New Jersey: 1-609-963-6900
- NYS Office of Emergency Management: 1-518-292-2200
- Nassau County-Office of Emergency Management: 1-516-573-0636
- Suffolk County-Office of Emergency Management: 1-631-852-4900
- Nassau EOC (Economic Opportunity Council): 1-516-292-9710
- Suffolk EOC (Economic Opportunity Council): 1-631-289-2124
- American Red Cross (Greater New York Region): 1-877-733-2767
- American Red Cross (Long Island): 1-516-747-3500
- Salvation Army-Nassau County: 1-516-485-4900
- Salvation Army-Suffolk County: 1-631-654-9380
- National Grid (Gas Emergency): 1-800-867-5222
How You Can Help:
Island Harvest in Mineola especially needs protein products in cans, personal-care items and baby items, among other donations.
Long Island Cares most critically needs diapers and baby formula to give to emergency shelters.
Long Beach, NY is accepting donations at the Ice Arena. Items needed include blankets, diapers, wipes, children’s shoes, paper towels, toilet paper, batteries, socks, hats, gloves and shopping bags. Food and water donations are being accepted at the East and West elementary schools and Waldbaum’s Plaza. Financial donations can be made online.
B’nai B’rith International has opened a disaster relief fund for Sandy.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre is accepting donations at any parish. The diocese also is accepting money donations, which will be distributed to parish-based and other Catholic social service agencies.